Here are the greatest hits from Apple’s 9/12 iPhone 5 (and new iPod Touch and iPod Nano) launch event.
I “watched” the whole thing via live blog and these are the notes I took. In short, Apple released a new iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPod Nano. iOS 6, EarPods (new headphones), and an updated version of iTunes were also announced.
iPHONE 5 HARDWARE
- Same price as iPhone 4S was. $199 for 16GB. $299 for 32 GB. $399 for 64 GB. Other phones have dropped in price.
- Pre-order on September 14. Release on September 21.
- By the end of the year 100 countries, 240 carriers
- 18% thinner, 20% lighter. If you have an iPhone 4 or 4S, it looks like the iPhone is as thick as just the metal band that goes around the perimeter of the phone.
- 4″ screen (taller). It’s not any wider.
- Less glare on the screen.
- 4G LTE that works on Sprint, AT&T, Verizon.
- Faster processor, faster graphics. About twice as fast.
- Better camera. Better in low light. Go down to f/2.4. Captures image faster. Noise reduction.
- Built in panorama mode. 28 megapixel panos. Uses image stabilization.
- 1080p video with better image stabilization.
- Front camera: Facetime now works over 3G with iOS 6. Is now 720p HD.
- There’s an extra microphone (bottom, front, back). Better noise-canceling.
- Better speakers.
- New cord with Lightning connector can be plugged in in either direction. There is an adapter available to go from 30-pin connector.
- Available in black and white. The back of it is in aluminium, and that aluminum has different finishes for the black and white models.
- Improved battery life. Battery life: 8 hrs 3G talktime, 3G browsing. 8hrs LTE browsing, 10 hrs Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hrs video, 40 hours Music. 225 hrs of standby.
iPHONE 5 SOFTWARE (iOS 6)
- iOS 6 released on September 19
- 200 new iOS features overall. This stuff was mostly announced back in June.
- Better maps. Turn-by-turn directions and 3D navigation. Maps have place info built-in.
- You can update Twitter and Facebook from any app. It’s built in.
- New full-screen mode in Safari.
- iCloud tab and bookmark syncing in Safari.
- Passbook (virtual wallet app): Movie passes, gif cards, flight tickets, sporting events, movie tickets
- Shared photo streams.
- Siri: Knows sports scores and standings. Can use Siri to update Facebook status.
- 20 billion songs have been purchased
- 435 million iTunes accounts
- iTunes store available in 63 countries.
- New look for iTunes store on iPad and iPhone
- You can preview songs while browsing
- New version of iTunes for your desktop. iCloud is built in. It got a facelift. Several new features, like “Up Next” which lets see what songs are coming up next on a playlist. You can queue up songs you want to hear when a song is done playing. New iTunes mini player that you can move around your screen. Available in October.
- You can watch your movies straight from iCloud. That’s neat.
- New 7th generation
- $149 for 16 GB
- Available in October
- Big display. Rectangular. 2.5″ screen. Multi-touch.
- New volume rocker button
- Lighting connector (like the iPhone)
- 5.4mm thick, 40% thinner than 6th generation Nano
- Available in 7 colors
- Can view widescreen video
- Built in fitness and pedometer apps
- Bluetooth connectivity, so you can stream to your car, speakers, and wireless headphones
- 30 hours of music playback.
- New 5th generation. $299 for 32 GB and $399 for 64 GB.
- Old version (4th gen) is now $199 for 16 GB and $249 for 32 GB
- Available in October
- Longer screen, like the iPhone 4
- Thinner. Lighter.
- Has an aluminium back.
- Headphone jack moved to bottom left
- Uses the new Lightning connector
- Battery life: 40 hours of music playback, 8 hours of video
- Camera on the back: 5 megapixels. LED flash. Some other general improvements. Camera also has the panorama mode.
- There’s a hidden button for something called iPod Touch Loop so you can add a wrist strap. The strap is included.
- Camera shoots 1080p video. Front-facing camera can do FaceTime video chat at 720p HD.
- Has Bluetooth
- Has Siri
- Supports AirPlay gaming via Apple TV.
- Comes in several different colors
- Is getting updated colors to match the Touch and Nano lineup but is otherwise unchanged.
- $49 for 2 GB version
EARPODS (NEW HEADPHONES)
- Controls on the headphones are larger
- Fit more ears better
- Better sound quality
- Included with the new iPod Touch, Nano, and iPhone. Not the Shuffle, apparently. But you can buy them separately.
- There are now 250,000 iPad apps and 700,000 iPhone apps
- The average customer uses more than 100 apps. That’s more than I have.
- Foo Fighters (one of my favorite bands) performed on-stage after the keynote. Times Like These, then My Hero. Awesome songs. They also played Walk, which is a less good song.